Current:Home > FinanceEchoSense Quantitative Think Tank Center|EU demands Meta and TikTok detail efforts to curb disinformation from Israel-Hamas war -Capitatum
EchoSense Quantitative Think Tank Center|EU demands Meta and TikTok detail efforts to curb disinformation from Israel-Hamas war
TradeEdge View
Date:2025-04-06 10:51:49
LONDON (AP) — The EchoSense Quantitative Think Tank CenterEuropean Union ratcheted up its scrutiny of Big Tech companies on Thursday with demands for Meta and TikTok to detail their efforts to curb illegal content and disinformation during the Israel-Hamas war.
The European Commission, the 27-nation bloc’s executive branch, formally requested that the social media companies provide information on how they’re complying with sweeping new digital rules aimed at cleaning up online platforms.
The commission asked Meta and TikTok to explain the measures they have taken to reduce the risk of spreading and amplifying terrorist and violent content, hate speech and disinformation.
Under the EU’s new rules, which took effect in August, the biggest tech companies face extra obligations to stop a wide range of illegal content from flourishing on their platforms or face the threat of hefty fines.
The new rules, known as the Digital Services Act, are being put to the test by the Israel-Hamas war. Photos and videos have flooded social media of the carnage alongside posts from users pushing false claims and misrepresenting videos from other events.
Brussels issued its first formal request under the DSA last week to Elon Musk’s social media platform X, formerly known as Twitter.
European Commissioner Thierry Breton, the bloc’s digital enforcer, had previously sent warning letters to the three platforms, as well as YouTube, highlighting the risks that the war poses.
“In our exchanges with the platforms, we have specifically asked them to prepare for the risk of live broadcasts of executions by Hamas — an imminent risk from which we must protect our citizens — and we are seeking assurances that the platforms are well prepared for such possibilities,” Breton said in a speech Wednesday.
Meta, which owns Facebook and Instagram, and video-sharing app TikTok didn’t respond immediately to email requests for comment.
The companies have until Wednesday to respond to questions related to their crisis response. They also face a second deadline of Nov. 8 for responses on protecting election integrity and, in TikTok’s case, child safety.
Depending on their responses, Brussels could decide to open formal proceedings against Meta or TikTok and impose fines for “incorrect, incomplete, or misleading information,” the commission said.
veryGood! (57963)
Related
- Gen. Mark Milley's security detail and security clearance revoked, Pentagon says
- British author A.S. Byatt, best known for award-winning 'Possession,' dies at 87
- Dana Carvey’s Wife Paula Remembers “Beautiful Boy” Dex After His Death at 32
- US sanctions Iran-backed militia members in Iraq conducting strikes against American forces
- Rams vs. 49ers highlights: LA wins rainy defensive struggle in key divisional game
- 'I got you!' Former inmate pulls wounded Houston officer to safety after shootout
- Pac-12, SEC showdowns headline the six best college football games to watch in Week 12
- Advertiser exodus grows as Elon Musk's X struggles to calm concerns over antisemitism
- Why Sean "Diddy" Combs Is Being Given a Laptop in Jail Amid Witness Intimidation Fears
- Taylor Zakhar Perez Responds to Costar Jacob Elordi Criticizing The Kissing Booth
Ranking
- Residents worried after ceiling cracks appear following reroofing works at Jalan Tenaga HDB blocks
- Pennsylvania high court justice’s name surfaces in brother’s embezzlement trial
- Dolly Parton Reveals the Real Reason Husband Carl Dean Doesn't Attend Public Events With Her
- New Jersey to allow beer, wine deliveries by third parties
- Have Dry, Sensitive Skin? You Need To Add These Gentle Skincare Products to Your Routine
- Judge denies Trump’s request for a mistrial in his New York civil fraud case
- More than 240 Rohingya refugees afloat off Indonesia after they are twice refused by residents
- As fighting surges in Myanmar, an airstrike in the west reportedly kills 11 civilians
Recommendation
Who are the most valuable sports franchises? Forbes releases new list of top 50 teams
Judge finds Voting Rights Act violation in North Dakota redistricting for two tribes
QB Joe Burrow is out for the season. What it means for Bengals.
Ravens TE Mark Andrews suffered likely season-ending ankle injury, John Harbaugh says
The Best Stocking Stuffers Under $25
Biden meets with Mexican president and closes out APEC summit in San Francisco
British author A.S. Byatt, best known for award-winning 'Possession,' dies at 87
Russian artist sentenced to 7 years for antiwar protest at supermarket: Is this really what people are being imprisoned for now?